Wednesday, October 17, 2007

shrimp, Scrabble, sippee

Last night we enjoyed our first shrimp broil with our church community and a church from Minnesota. They are here working with Journey Christian Church and want to help support a church plant here. It was a lot of fun. A local man and his wife from Journey came to broil the shrimp, and while that was happening I got to play Scrabble with his wife and a couple other really smart ladies. I knew they were going to be good so I said I would just watch but they would have none of that. So, I played and got a very lucky move--I used all my Scrabble letters to make the word BEETLES, hit three double word scores forming two words, and scored 104 points! I told them I had never done that before, but they joked about it the rest of the evening. It looks like I'll have to play them again in the future. I'm sure I'll lose! :)

Well, we prayed for no rain that night and God blessed us with that! But it got dark quick and Aaron and others scattered for lights. There were over 70 of us all together in the Woodward's (our lead pastor) yard! It was a good time fellowshipping with people--some of them had come down last November and worked with us at CrossRoads, so that was neat. It was also amazing that the food lasted--each of us in our group prepared a side dish and dessert, but I was sure we were going to run out. I think Matt mentioned that in his closing prayer, that it was almost like God multiplied the food like when Jesus fed the 5,000!

Another neat thing was that our friend, and the Woodward's neighbor, Walter came over. It's always good to catch up with him. We mostly talked politics. He's a Sheriff's deputy and we have a huge election race going on right now. I have seen about three debates on TV- for our Parish president and for governor. It's crazy how big of a deal this is here! Well, preliminary voting is Saturday. It's going to be a big deal--I'm not sure how to pray for it. Well, now that I said that I'm sure I'll update you with how it turns out (Adam- I'm sure you'd like to know).

So, that was our fun evening. Everly stayed up late- til almost 9:30. She's asleep now and Aaron is on the road. He and the rest of the staff and our intern are going up to Cincy and Louisville to talk to a few churches who are supporting us. So, pray that that goes well. I'm sure it will cause these are great people of God. As a final note, a high for me today was seeing Everly figure out how to drink from her sippee cup! We tried to teach her a couple weeks ago before we went to Indy and today I got it back out. I was so excited and could tell that she was, too. She even held it a little and got some in by herself. ...she's growing up too quick! :(

here's a cute picture from today to end on...

No comments: