Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"present riseness" and proposal memories

does Christ's resurrection affect our daily life? do we only think of the resurrection as a past and future event? this is what the chapter is about that i'm reading right now in Abba's Child. Manning refers to when Christ says he is with us always and asks if we live in this reality. it is making me think. i can never read a full chapter cause i have to stop and chew on it! (it's a great book if you haven't read it and are looking for something fresh to read.)

besides that, 3 years ago today aaron proposed. that's a wonderful memory in my mind. i honestly have the best husband ever. he is so faithful, thoughtful, and loving. if you've never heard our proposal story, i think i'll take a walk down memory lane...

we both were in chicago for labor day weekend- me for my friends birthday and aaron and his family were showing a friend from Ukraine the sights. we decided to meet at the Sear's Tower on Sunday night. i had no clue anything was going to happen because aaron had led me to believe it wasn't coming soon, which was good because i was very surprised. driving through downtown chicago for the first time with one of my best friends, Jayme, was sweet enough! then, when we arrived there i didn't see aaron and thought he might be inside getting tickets. as I looked around his brother called for my attention and started speaking jibberish, well, french actually, but i didn't know what was going on! he handed me a yellow rose and his wife translated, "he wants to be your friend." then gary speaks spanish, leah hands me a white rose, "he wants to have a pure relationship." and Olga (Ukrainian friend) speaks in russian, "he wants to serve God with you" and hands me a purple gerber daisy--no rose means service :) then Gary tells me that Aaron is waiting in the park across the street--he had wanted to be at the top of the tower, but it was a long time getting up there and thought i would have too much time to think! but this was perfect, like a movie only real! there's a beautiful little park there, just grass and trees and maybe some flowers. i remember there was this asian family having a picnic on a blanket- aww. and there was aaron, in a t-shirt i had given him, a vintage one of the smokey mountains found at goodwill. i still had no clue to this point-- i thought he was just being sweet and it happened all pretty fast. but as soon as i got to him we hugged and he quickly said these words to me, "shauna, i love you, i want to love you 1-2-3 (which means God first, you second, myself third- something we picked up from our friends jake and melissa's wedding the summer before), and then he got down on his knee and pulled the ring out-- this was the best part-- and he asked me to marry him! that was when i realized what was going on! i was so giddy, laughing and smiling the whole night. of course, i said yes, we hugged, the asian familyl clapped for us, and the ring was perfect-- more than i had expected and a sign of how much aaron loved me. he worked hard all summer doing extra work to save for it. it was all paid off--he's so good like that.
anyway, we tried to call people but no one answered, so we went up the tower. i flashed my ring about to the workers with the biggest smile and excited "i'm engaged!" they didn't even know me, but i had to tell someone! my friend Jayme of course figured what was happening the moment it started and teased me for not knowing. but i liked it that way--it was aaron's dream to surprise me and he did a great job at it. he had spent a great deal of time thinking it out, too. the three languages were the ones i had studyed as i traveled abroad and in school. missions, culture, language--some of our passions. flowers- i love to get flowers! and having our family and friends there. it was a perfect, and unique, proposal. out of all of it, though, my favorite part was when he got down on his knee and said, "will you marry me?"

1 comment:

Jen said...

awww. I remember Aaron calling Joel that morning or maybe it was the day before. He was SO nervous but super-excited:)